Qualifications and background
David has a Bachelor of Arts (Honours in Political Science), trained as a journalist and early in his career worked as a radio and television reporter. He later worked as a political consultant including advising a Federal Cabinet Minister.
Before his election to Council in October 2006, David consulted to numerous businesses on issues management, media management and government relations.
He and his family live in the heart of the Hamilton Ward in Hendra.
He has been a member of Council’s Civic Cabinet since 2008, as Chairman of City Businesses and Water Supply, Chairman of Field Services and, after the 2016 election, Chairman of the Environment, Parks and Sustainability Committee.
The responsibilities of the Environment, Parks and Sustainability Committee are to:
- protect and enhance Brisbane's environment including the Brisbane River, waterways, biodiversity, air quality and natural areas and:
- ensure Brisbane is a leading city in energy efficiency and integrated water management
- foster Brisbane's development as a green and shady city with a focus on its parks and gardens and natural areas
- partner with the community and business to enhance the environment
- support volunteer organisations in their contribution to the protection and enhancement of Brisbane's environment
- ensure environmental risks of Council operations are minimised